PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
MAKES 8 muffins (1 per serving)
These delicious, protein-packed savory muffins are great for on-the-go breakfasts. You can make a big batch on Sunday and heat them up quickly on busy mornings. Fresh eggs are blended with cream and Gruyère cheese to create a rich, quichelike texture. This recipe is easily customizable; add any of your favorite ingredients to the muffin pan before putting in the egg mixture for endless flavor variations.
A nonstick silicone muffin pan is best for easy removal and cleanup. If you are using a metal muffin pan, be sure to grease it well with butter or another healthy cooking fat.
6 slices bacon, cooked and finely chopped
3 ounces (85 g) jarred roasted red peppers, diced
½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream
4 large eggs
8 ounces (220 g) Gruyère cheese, shredded, divided
Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Finely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Divide the chopped bacon and diced red peppers evenly among 8 cups of a standard-size 12-cup nonstick muffin pan.
- Place the cream, eggs, half of the cheese, and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin cups, pouring it over the red pepper and bacon and filling each cup about three-quarters full.
- Place the muffin pan in a baking dish and pour 1 inch (2.5 cm) of boiling water into the dish, around the muffin pan. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the tops of the muffins and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the muffins cool in the pan. To serve, gently tap the egg muffins out of the muffin pan. Garnish with a sprinkle of parsley, if desired. Eat the muffins right away or store in the refrigerator and reheat individually as desired. Or eat them cold if you want! Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.