PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
MAKES 8 muffins (1 per serving)
These delicious egg muffin cups can be a grab-and-go breakfast or part of a to-go lunch. They can be reheated quickly or enjoyed at room temperature. Use this recipe with your own favorite fillings for thousands of possible variations (see a handful of our suggested combinations below).
A nonstick silicone muffin pan will simplify the removal of the muffin cups from the pan, as well as the cleanup. If you are using a metal muffin pan, use cupcake liners for easy cleanup.
8 slices bacon, cooked but not crispy (it needs to remain flexible)
1 cup (140 g) peeled, diced, and roasted butternut squash
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 ounces (85 g) fresh (soft) goat cheese, crumbled
8 large eggs
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Have on hand a standard-size 12-cup nonstick muffin pan.
- Line 8 of the muffin cups with the bacon, using 1 slice per cup. Divide the butternut squash among the bacon cups, then drizzle with the oil and sprinkle on the goat cheese.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl, season with the salt and pepper, whisk well, and pour into the bacon-lined cups, filling each about three-quarters full.
- Place the muffin pan in the oven and bake until the eggs are firm, puffed, and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, let the muffins cool a bit, then remove the muffins from the pan and enjoy warm. Store the remaining cups in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Enjoy cold or reheat individually as desired.
Use a range of different ingredients to fill the egg cups before pouring in the whisked eggs and baking:
image Crumbled or diced cooked Italian sausage, diced roasted red peppers, and crumbled feta cheese
image Diced or shredded cooked chicken, sliced cooked asparagus, and shredded mozzarella cheese
image Diced roasted Mediterranean vegetables and grated Parmesan cheese
image Crumbled cooked sausage of choice, chopped cooked broccoli, and crumbled blue cheese
image Sliced roast beef and diced and caramelized red onions