Pork and Egg Pie (Includes Low Carb Pie Crust recipe)
When you absolutely love bacon, this recipe is everything you’ll ever need.
Ingredients for the Low Carb Pie Crus
● 1 cup coconut flour
● 2 eggs
● 1/2 cup butter, diced
● 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
● 1/4 tsp salt
● 1 tbsp of erythritol (optional – use for sweet pies; doesn’t add carbs)
● 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional – use for sweet pies; adds 0.53g of carbs and 12 kcal)
● Preheat oven to 400 °F.
● Mix the olive oil and eggs in a food processor or stand mixer. Add vanilla extract (optional).
● In another bowl, whisk the coconut flour, salt and erythritol (optional) together until combined.
● Pour the dry and wet mixture into a food processor and add the cubed butter.
● Mix by pulsing until it looks like crumbles.
● Spray a pie plate with cooking spray and pour crumbles into pie plate. Press with hands to form dough right in the pie plate.
● Randomly make holes into the bottom of the crust by using a fork.
● Place baking paper on top of the pie crust, and then place ceramic baking beans on top of the baking paper to help weigh the dough down.
● Place in the oven and bake the crust 10-12 minutes.
● Take the crust out of the oven and let it cool.
● Add your filling. Bake it extra time if the filling you’ve chosen requires it.
This Low Carb Pie Crust recipe is perfect for either sweet or savory pies. Also, it’s perfect for those who have tree nut allergies and can’t use almond flour. You can combine this crust with any filling you want.
Nutrition facts of the Low Carb Pie Crus:
!!! Please don’t forget to take into account the carbs of the filling you chose.
Ingredients for Pork and Egg Pie:
● 1 recipe for Low Carb Pie Crust (we will use the previous recipe, but you can use your own recipe)
● 6 large slices of unsmoked bacon
● 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
● 4 large eggs
● 12-13 oz of diced pork loin
● ¼ cup freshly chopped spring onion
● 2 tbsp of lard
● 2 cloves of garlic
● ½ cup of full-fat cream cheese
● 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
● ½ tsp salt
● freshly ground black pepper
● Make the pie crust using the previous recipe or your own recipe. Ideally, we recommend making one regular-sized crust, but 8 mini pie crusts are fine too. The temperature and duration of baking depends on the pie crust recipe you choose.
● Peel garlic and mince.
● Place garlic and finely chopped red onion in a pan greased with lard. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes while stirring.
● Finely chop 2 slices of uncooked bacon.
● Place in a pan with garlic and red onion.
● Stirring continuously, cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
● Add the remaining bacon slices and cook 5 more minutes.
● Dice the pork loin and add it to the pan.
● Cook over medium heat until browned on all sides.
● Remove and let cool.
● Preheat oven to 400 °F.
● Combine meat with cream cheese, salt, and pepper.
● Crack eggs in a large mixing bowl.
● Add grated cheddar cheese and mix well.
● Add spring onion and mix again.
● Add meat and cream cheese mixture to the bowl and combine thoroughly.
● Spoon the entire mixture evenly into the pie crust.
● Place pie in oven and bake for 25 minutes.