PREP TIME: 10 minutes + 3 hours to freeze
MAKES 8 servings
Avocados are often thought of as a savory food, but the creamy texture and mild flavor are wonderful complements to smooth, silky desserts like ice cream and cheesecake. This easy no-churn ice cream combines healthy fats with a hint of lemon juice to offset the richness; it’s a great energy-boosting treat.
3 large ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
Juice of ½ lemon
¾ cup (145 g) granulated low-carb sweetener of your choice
2½ cups (600 ml) heavy cream, divided
⅓ cup (41g) shelled, salted pistachios, roughly chopped
Fresh sliced strawberries, for garnish
Whole shelled pistachios, for garnish
- Line a 10-inch (25-cm) square baking pan with parchment paper. Place the prepared avocado, lemon juice, sweetener, and half of the cream in a blender and blend on high until completely smooth, about 1 minute. Remove the mixture from the blender and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the remaining cream into soft peaks and fold into the avocado mixture. Add the chopped pistachios and transfer to the prepared pan.
- Freeze for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Use an ice cream scoop to serve the ice cream and garnish with sliced strawberries and pistachios.
- Store the remaining ice cream in the freezer for up to 1 month.