PREP TIME: 10 minutes + 15 minutes for the pastry dough
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
MAKES 22 pinwheels (1 per serving)
Crisp bites of warm golden-brown pastry stuffed with cheddar and bacon—yum! This mouthwatering party appetizer (or meal when paired with a salad) is versatile and surprisingly very low carb. Once baked, the pinwheels can be garnished with extra toppings of your choice, such as cream cheese and smoked salmon. Use the directions below to make an endless array of flavor varieties by filling the pinwheels with your own ingredient combinations.
1 recipe Mozzarella Pastry Dough (here)
12 slices crispy cooked bacon, chopped
8 ounces (225 g) sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
4 ounces (110 g) Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C) and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Make the pastry dough according to recipe instructions. Place the dough on a clean work surface and roll it out into a large rectangle about ¼ inch (6 mm) thick. Use a little bit of almond flour for dusting if the pastry becomes sticky.
- Sprinkle the bacon and cheddar over the pastry and, working with one of the long sides, carefully roll it into a long cylinder shape.
- Slice the cylinder into 22 round discs and place them onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the pinwheels and bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Serve immediately.
- Store leftover pinwheels in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 to 3 days. To reheat, place in a preheated moderate oven for 5 to 8 minutes, or until piping hot and crispy.