PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
MAKES 4 servings
You can’t beat the fresh taste of a high-quality homemade beef burger. These burgers take ten minutes or less to put together and are packed with juicy flavor. The crispy halloumi fries are made by simply deep-frying halloumi cheese—a low-carb french fry alternative packed with flavor and protein.
2 pounds (900 g) grass-fed ground beef (80% lean)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ red onion, sliced
Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 ounces (60 g) fresh (soft) goat cheese, crumbled
High-heat oil for deep-frying, such as coconut oil or avocado oil (about 3 cups/720 ml)
1 (8.8-oz/250-g) package halloumi cheese, sliced into fry-size pieces
SIDE SALAD (OPTIONAL)
4 large handfuls of mixed salad greens
2-Minute Homemade Mayonnaise (here), for dressing the salad
- Combine all the ingredients for the burger patties in a large bowl and use your hands to mix until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the burger meat evenly into 4 balls, then use your hands to press into patties about 5 inches (12.75 cm) in diameter and ½ inch (1.25 cm) thick. Preheat a grill or cast-iron griddle pan to high heat.
- While the grill is heating up, make the red onion topping: Place the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and add the red onion slices. Sauté the onions for about 5 to 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook the burgers on the preheated grill or cast-iron griddle pan for about 5 minutes on the first side, then flip it and cook 5 minutes on the other side for medium done burgers.
- Make the halloumi fries: In a large heavy saucepan, heat a generous amount of oil (about 3 cups) to 350°F (177°C) over medium-high heat. (You want about 2 inches (5 cm) of oil in the pan and 3 inches (7.5 cm) or more of headspace above the oil.) Add all of the halloumi pieces to the hot oil and cook for about 5 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Drain the fries on paper towels.
- Top the cooked burgers with the onions and crumbled goat cheese. Serve with a side salad, if desired. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.