PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
MAKES 4 servings
This colorful salad is full of contrasting flavors; the apricots add a hint of sweetness and tanginess and cut through the rich avocado and prosciutto. Warm, crispy pan-roasted chicken and light Dijon mustard dressing elevate the salad to a refreshing yet wholesome lunch.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1¾ lbs/675 g) or boneless, skinless thighs (see Note)
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup (60 ml) white wine vinegar
½ cup (120 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 large handfuls of arugula
1 large handful of pea shoots (optional)
4 medium ripe apricots, pitted and cut into wedges
2 ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
8 slices prosciutto, roughly torn
Freshly ground black pepper, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Season the chicken breasts with the salt and pepper.
- Place a large ovenproof frying pan over high heat. Add the oil and, once hot, add the chicken breasts. Cook the chicken for 3 minutes on each side, then transfer the frying pan to the oven and continue to cook for 15 minutes, until the chicken is golden brown, crispy, and fully cooked in the center.
- Make the dressing: Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk until fully combined and emulsified.
- Assemble the salad: Place a handful of arugula onto each serving plate. Scatter the pea shoots, apricot wedges, sliced avocado, and torn prosciutto over each pile of arugula.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the oven, allow to rest for 3 to 5 minutes, and then slice and place on top of each salad. Drizzle the salads with the dressing, garnish with freshly ground black pepper, and serve.
Chicken thighs contain more fat, flavor, and calories than breasts.