PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 45 minutes
MAKES 12 servings
Nuts are a classic low-carb snack, but store-bought flavored mixes often feature additives and sugars. This homemade nut mix is delicious, crunchy, and cheesy, and it can be made with any of your favorite nuts.
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1½ cups (165 g) grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon dried ground oregano
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 large egg whites
1 cup (135 g) raw almonds
1 cup (145 g) raw peanuts
½ cup (65 g) raw Brazil nuts
½ cup (65 g) raw macadamia nuts
½ cup (50 g) raw pecan halves
½ cup (65 g) raw hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (163°C). Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Make the Parmesan coating: Place the Parmesan, salt, and spices in a bowl and mix well until combined.
- Whisk the egg whites in a separate medium-sized bowl until they form soft peaks.
- Add the mixed nuts and the Parmesan coating mixture to the egg whites and stir well until the nuts are thoroughly coated with the mixture.
- Sprinkle the nuts onto the prepared sheet pan and drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over the top.
- Place the sheet pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Stir the nut mixture well and continue to bake for 5 to 10 minutes more, until golden and aromatic. Switch off the oven and leave the nuts inside with the door ajar for 20 minutes.
- Remove the nuts from the oven and cool completely in the pan, then store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.