PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
MAKES 4 servings
Making a flatbread crust from chicken may sound a bit strange, but give it a try—this is a delicious, simple solution for a crisp, high-protein base for your favorite toppings. Simply blend Parmesan cheese and chicken, spread into “dough” circles, and bake for ten minutes. The finished product is delicious, satisfying, and healthy. Serve with a side salad for a complete meal.
CHICKEN FLATBREAD CRUST
2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1¾ lbs/675 g)
1 large egg
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1½ teaspoons fresh oregano leaves, or ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
½ teaspoon ground mustard
½ teaspoon onion powder
1½ cups (165 g) grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
8 teaspoons high-quality store-bought pesto
1 cup (110 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
8 ounces (225 g) fresh (soft) goat cheese, sliced
24 cherry tomatoes, halved
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Make the crust: Cut the chicken breasts into cubes and place in a food processor. Add the egg, salt, pepper, oregano, ground mustard, and onion powder and process until you have a smooth paste. Add the shredded Parmesan cheese and pulse a few more times, until well incorporated.
- Divide the chicken mixture into 4 parts and place 2 parts onto each sheet pan, evenly spaced in mounds. Use a pallet knife or the back of a spoon to spread each mound out into tortilla-size circles, about ¼ inch (6 mm) thick. Drizzle the circles with olive oil and place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes, until golden.
- Remove the sheet pans from the oven and spread 2 teaspoons of the pesto over each flatbread crust. Top each circle with one-quarter of the shredded mozzarella and goat cheese slices, then finish with cherry tomato halves (12 per circle) and a grind of black pepper.
- Place the flatbreads back in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove the sheet pans from the oven and let the flatbreads cool slightly, then cut into quarters and serve. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheat as desired.