PREP TIME: 20 minutes + 1 hour to marinate
COOKING TIME: 35 minutes
MAKES 4 servings
Layers of creamy mozzarella and tangy tomato pesto broiled on top of breaded pork loin cutlets…Need we say more? For a balanced meal, serve this with a side of your favorite low-carb vegetables or a salad.
1 pound (450 g) boneless pork loin
1 cup (240 ml) full-fat buttermilk
Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1½ cups (165 g) almond flour
1½ cups (165 g) grated Parmesan cheese
2 large eggs
¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
8 tablespoons store-bought tomato pesto
8 ounces (225 g) fresh mozzarella, sliced
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (232°C). Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Slice the pork loin into 4 pieces (you can ask your butcher to do this for you when you buy it) and place each piece between 2 layers of plastic wrap. Use a rolling pin to pound the pork into ¼-inch (6-mm)-thick cutlets. Place the meat in a mixing bowl, add the buttermilk, and stir well to coat. Marinate for 1 hour (this helps tenderize the meat, but you can skip this step if you are short on time).
- Remove the pork from the buttermilk and pat dry with paper towels. Season well with salt and pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour and Parmesan cheese and mix well. In a small bowl, beat the eggs. Dip the pork cutlets in the beaten eggs and then in the almond flour mixture, making sure the cutlets are thoroughly coated on both sides. Transfer the cutlets to the prepared sheet pan and drizzle with the oil.
- Bake the cutlets for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, then remove from the oven.
- Top each pork cutlet with 2 tablespoons of tomato pesto and one-quarter of the mozzarella slices. Turn on the broiler and, once it is fully hot, broil the pork cutlets for 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted, golden, and bubbling.
- Remove the pan from the broiler and place the cutlets on individual serving plates. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.