PREP TIME: 15 minutes + 1 hour to marinate
COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
MAKES 4 servings
If you are a liver lover, you are going to really like this dish, and if you’re not, give it a try anyway; this recipe may convert you! Liver is a fantastic source of nutrients and pairs beautifully with earthy morel mushrooms—or you can substitute any other mushroom of your choice for similar results. For a complete meal, serve with your favorite low-carb vegetables or a salad.
4 (4-oz/110-g) calves’ liver steaks
1 cup (240 ml) full-fat buttermilk
4 tablespoons (60 ml) olive oil, divided
6 slices bacon, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
4 ounces (110 g) morel mushrooms or other mushrooms of your choice
1 cup (240 ml) all-natural salted chicken stock
1 stick (½ cup/110 g) cold unsalted butter, cubed
Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, or a handful of pea shoots, for garnish
- Place the liver in a mixing bowl and add the buttermilk. Stir well and let marinate for 1 hour (this improves the flavor of the liver).
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat, then pour 2 tablespoons of the oil into the pan. When the oil is hot, add the bacon and sauté for 5 to 8 minutes, until golden brown. Add the garlic and morels and cook for 3 to 5 minutes more, until the mushrooms are tender.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a steady simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, until the liquid has reduced by two-thirds.
- Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the cold butter until emulsified. You should have a smooth, buttery sauce. Slide the pan off the heat and move to the back of the stove to keep warm.
- Remove the liver from the buttermilk and pat dry with a paper towel. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan over high heat. Season the liver steaks well with salt and pepper, then pan fry for about 2 minutes on each side; the liver should still be slightly pink in the middle (be careful not to overcook it since it can become dry, chewy, and grainy).
- To serve family style, cut the steaks crosswise into ½-inch (1.25-cm) strips and place on a platter, then spoon the morel-butter sauce over the top and garnish with chopped parsley. Or divide the liver steaks among four serving plates, spoon the morel-butter sauce over the steaks, and garnish with chopped parsley. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.