MAKES: 8 regular or 16 mini buns
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 40 to 45 minutes
This is the absolute best bread recipe I’ve ever come across—low-carb or otherwise! These buns are fluffy and flavorful, and taste just like the loaves of rustic bread my grandma used to make.
11/2 cups (150 g/5.3 oz) almond flour
1/3 cup (40 g/1.4 oz) psyllium husk powder
1/2 cup (60 g/2.1 oz) coconut flour
1/2 cup (75 g/2.6 oz) flax meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
6 large egg whites (Reserve egg yolks for Mushroom & Dill Sour Soup.)
2 large eggs
3/4 cup (180 g/6.5 oz) low-fat buttermilk (see tips)
1/4 cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
1 cup (240 ml) lukewarm water
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the egg whites, eggs, and buttermilk. Add the egg mixture to the dry mixture, and process well using a mixer until the dough is thick. Add the vinegar and lukewarm water, and process until well combined. Do not overprocess the dough. Using a spoon, make 8 regular or 16 mini buns. Place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a nonstick mat, leaving some space between them.
Transfer them to the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 300°F (150°C, or gas mark 2) and bake for another 30 to 45 minutes (small buns will take less time to cook). Remove from the oven, let them cool, and place the buns on a rack to cool to room temperature. Store them at room temperature if you plan to use them in the next couple of days or store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
• For best results, use a kitchen scale to weigh all the dry ingredients.
• Do not use full-fat buttermilk or the buns will end up too dense.
• I’ve always had best results when using whole psyllium husks that I powder myself in a coffee grinder. Store-bought psyllium husk powder will work, too, but the buns may be denser. Baked goods that use psyllium always result in a slightly moist texture. If needed, cut the buns in half and place in a toaster or in the oven before serving.
• To save time, mix all the dry ingredients ahead and store in a resealable bag and add a label with the number of servings. When ready to be baked, just add the wet ingredients!
• Looking for dairy-free, nut-free, flax-free, or psyllium-free options? Check out my blog at ketodietapp.com/blog and search for “bread.”
NUTRITION FACTS PER MINI BUN:
Total carbs: 7 g / Fiber: 4.8 g / Net carbs: 2.2 g / Protein: 6.1 g / Fat: 8.2 g / Energy: 116 kcal
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (8%), protein (23%), fat (69%)