Yield: 2 servings Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes
On the TV show Top Chef, some of the most amazing chefs in the world compete for the title. Some challenges are very difficult, yet some of the simplest challenges are the hardest for these talented chefs. In a recent season, the contestants had to make a perfect Denver omelet, which inspired this recipe.
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ghee or unsalted butter, divided
2 tablespoons diced onions
2 tablespoons diced red and green bell peppers
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
3 large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons diced ham
2 tablespoons shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Sour cream, for garnish
Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the ghee in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook, stirring, until soft. Season with ⅛ teaspoon of the salt.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, 2 tablespoons of water, and the remaining ⅛ teaspoon of salt. Add the ham and stir well. Set aside.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Add the remaining teaspoon of ghee and swirl to coat the pan. Pour in the egg mixture. Cover with a lid and cook until the eggs are almost set, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the lid and sprinkle the cheese over the entire omelet. Place the vegetable filling on top of the cheese.
- Fold the omelet in half and place on a serving platter. Top with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with the sliced green onions. Slice in half and serve.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a sauté pan over medium heat for a minute or two, until warmed through.