Yield: 4 servings Prep time: 7 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes
2 (1-pound) bags frozen cauliflower
4 strips bacon, diced
½ cup diced onions
¾ cup blanched almond flour
4 ounces cream cheese (½ cup), softened
¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 3 ounces)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook for 8 minutes or until fork-tender.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it’s crispy and the fat is rendered, about 4 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a large mixing bowl, leaving the fat in the pan.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook over medium heat until the onions are translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the cooked onions to the large mixing bowl with the bacon. Leave the bacon fat in the skillet for frying the patties.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked until soft, drain the excess water and place the cauliflower on a cheesecloth to soak up any water still in the cauliflower. Squeeze tightly to remove any excess water and to mash the cauliflower a bit with the cloth.
- When the excess water is out of the cauliflower, put the cauliflower in the large mixing bowl with the bacon and onion mixture and mash the cauliflower with a hand mixer on high speed. Add the almond flour, cream cheese, grated cheese, eggs, salt, and pepper and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Using your hands, form the mixture into 3-inch balls, then flatten and shape them into small slider-sized patties, about ¾ inch thick.
- Heat the skillet with the bacon fat to medium-high heat. Add the patties in batches and fry on both sides for about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to a month. To reheat, place in a greased skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.