Yield: 8 servings Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 65 minutes
2 large daikon radishes (about 3 pounds)
Butter, for greasing the dish
1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
4 ounces cream cheese (½ cup), softened, divided
2 cups grated Parmesan cheese (about 6 ounces), divided
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces), divided
1 cup heavy cream
Fresh thyme leaves, for garnish
2 strips bacon, fried until crispy and then crumbled, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Peel and slice the daikon. Add the daikon to the boiling water and boil for 15 minutes to soften. Drain.
- Grease a 10 by 7½-inch baking dish with butter. Layer half the sliced daikon in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon of the salt and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper on top. Spread half of the cream cheese on the daikon layer, then sprinkle the cream cheese with ½ cup of the Parmesan and ½ cup of the shredded cheddar. Top with the rest of the daikon, sprinkle with the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper, spread the remaining cream cheese on the layer of daikon, then top with the remaining 1½ cups of Parmesan and ½ cup of cheddar. Pour in the cream.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until nice and golden brown on top. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Garnish with thyme leaves and crumbled bacon, if desired.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to a month. To reheat, place in a baking dish and heat in a preheated 375°F oven for 5 minutes or until heated through.