Yield: 4 servings Prep time: 9 minutes Cook time: 12 minutes
Coconut oil or lard, for greasing the pan
1¾ cups shredded mozzarella cheese (about 7 ounces)
2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
¾ cup blanched almond flour
1 large egg
⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
4 cups fresh spinach
2 tablespoons jarred roasted, marinated red peppers, diced
1 tablespoon minced onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ cup feta cheese crumbles (about 2 ounces), plus extra for garnish
Fresh parsley and/or oregano, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a pizza stone or baking sheet (a pizza stone will create a crispier bottom crust) with parchment paper, then grease the paper with coconut oil or lard.
- Make the dough: Place the mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the cheese is entirely melted. Stir well.
- Add the almond flour, egg, and salt and combine well using a hand mixer. Use your hands and work it like a traditional dough, kneading for about 3 minutes. (Note: If the dough is too sticky, chill it in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight.)
- Divide the dough into four equal portions. Put the dough on the greased parchment and pat each portion with your hands or use a rolling pin to make 4 squares, about 4½ inches.
- Make the filling: Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the spinach, red peppers, onions, garlic, and salt to the pan. Sauté for 4 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
- Place the filling mixture down the middle of each square of dough. Top with the feta cheese. Fold each square in half from corner to corner to make a triangle and press the edges together to seal. This dough is forgiving, so if you see a hole, just press it together with your fingers.
- Place the pizza stone with the spanakopita in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and fully cooked. Remove from the oven. Garnish with feta and fresh parsley or oregano or both.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, place on a baking sheet in a preheated 400°F oven for 3 minutes or until heated through.