MAKES 3½ cups (290 g) (14 servings)
PREP TIME: 5 minutes, plus 20 minutes to cool
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
Laura, one of our amazing Healthful Pursuit readers, named this recipe, and for good reason! Nothing but chocolate on this one. If you want to go over the top, you could add cacao nibs or stevia-sweetened chocolate chips. Cacao nibs are little bits of raw cacao, completely unsweetened and in its natural state.
This recipe calls for coconut flakes. These are large flakes of coconut, much larger than standard shredded coconut. I purchase unsweetened coconut flakes from Thrive Market.
⅓ cup (65 g) erythritol
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
⅓ cup (27 g) cocoa powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
3 cups (190 g) unsweetened coconut flakes
- Cover a cutting board or baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the erythritol, water, and vanilla in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a light simmer, stirring every 30 seconds. Continue to Step 3 if using confectioners’-style erythritol; if using granulated erythritol, continue to simmer until the granules can no longer be felt on the back of the spoon.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the cocoa powder, cinnamon, and salt; mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the coconut flakes and continue to stir frequently, keeping the temperature low to prevent burning. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes, until the bottom of the pan gets sticky.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the granola to the parchment paper. Allow to cool completely, about 20 minutes, before enjoying, or transfer to a 1-quart (950-ml) or larger airtight container for storage.
STORE IT: Keep in the fridge for up to 10 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. You can eat it straight out of the freezer without thawing.
make it COCONUT-FREE:
Replace the coconut with 2½ cups (375 g) hulled sunflower seeds.
make it LOW-FODMAP:
Do not eat more than one serving per day.
Per ¼-cup/21-g serving:
calories: 106 | calories from fat: 83 | total fat: 9.2 g | saturated fat: 8.1 g | cholesterol: 0 mg
sodium: 106 mg | carbs: 5 g | dietary fiber: 2.7 g | net carbs: 2.3 g | sugars: 0.9 g | protein: 0.9 g
FAT : 78%
CARBS : 19%
PROTEIN : 3%