PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 28 minutes
We ate this scrambled egg dish a lot when we lived in the RV exploring the country. It’s easy, delicious, and, if you can eat cheese, great with cheese. Or so I’m told. If you have a batch of Avocado Lime Dressing (here) or Basil Vinaigrette & Marinade (here) on hand, drizzle some over the top!
8 strips bacon (about 8 oz/225 g)
1 packed cup spiral-sliced butternut squash (about 5¼ oz/150 g)
½ green bell pepper, diced
6 large eggs, beaten
½ cup (40 g) sliced green onions (green parts only)
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook the bacon in a large frying pan over medium heat until crispy, about 15 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan, leaving the grease in the pan. When the bacon has cooled, crumble it.
- Add the squash and bell pepper to the pan with the bacon grease. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are fork-tender.
- Add the beaten eggs, green onions, and black pepper. Mix with a large spoon until fully incorporated.
- Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring every minute, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Once complete, fold in half of the crumbled bacon.
- Divide evenly between 2 plates, top with remaining crumbled bacon, and dig in!
STORE IT: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
REHEAT IT: Transfer a single serving to a microwave-safe dish, cover, and microwave for 2 minutes, or place in a frying pan with a drop of oil, cover, and reheat over medium heat for 5 minutes.
calories: 395 | calories from fat: 243 | total fat: 27 g | saturated fat: 8.6 g | cholesterol: 578 mg
sodium: 474 mg | carbs: 11.7 g | dietary fiber: 2.5 g | net carbs: 9.2 g | sugars: 1.8 g | protein: 26.3 g
FAT : 62%
CARBS : 12%
PROTEIN : 26%