MAKES 6 bagel sandwiches (1 per serving)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 35 minutes
Meat bagels have become quite popular over the years, and I’ve eaten my fair share. The thing I don’t like about the classic recipe is that you have to cut the bagel in half just perfectly to make a sandwich—and ground meat doesn’t like to be cut evenly. Having to cut anything in half perfectly always makes me a little nervous, especially when failure means a broken sandwich. My solution? Make two thinner bagels for each sandwich rather than one fat one that requires slicing.
If dairy is part of your keto diet, feel free to use an equal amount of shredded cheddar or Parmesan cheese in place of the nutritional yeast.
If you don’t want to make or buy cream cheese for this recipe, swap out the cream cheese for mayonnaise (here).
2 tablespoons coconut oil, avocado oil, or ghee
2 small white onions, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds (910 g) ground pork
2 large eggs
½ cup (120 ml) tomato sauce
½ cup (35 g) nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons paprika
1½ teaspoons finely ground sea salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
¾ cup (6 oz/205 g) chive and onion cream cheese (dairy-free or regular)
½ cucumber, thinly sliced
6 ounces (170 g) sliced deli ham, chicken, or turkey
1 cup (50 g) alfalfa sprouts
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 10 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Place the ground pork, eggs, tomato sauce, nutritional yeast, paprika, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. When the onions are cooked, add them to the bowl and mix with your hands until fully incorporated.
- Divide the meat mixture into 12 equal portions. Taking one portion at a time, roll it into a ball between your hands and press onto the lined baking sheet. Use your fingers to shape the meat mixture into a circle, keeping the thickness to about ½ inch (1.25 cm), then use your pointer finger to create a 1½-inch (4-cm) hole in the middle of the patty. Repeat with remaining meat mixture to make a total of 12 bagels, placing 6 bagels on each baking sheet.
- Bake the bagels for 20 to 25 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pans for 30 minutes before assembling the sandwiches.
- To assemble, spread 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese on one of the bagels. Layer on one-sixth of the cucumber slices, followed by 1 ounce (28 g) of deli meat, finishing with one-sixth of the sprouts. Top with a second bagel and repeat with remaining ingredients to make a total of 6 bagel sandwiches.
FAT : 55%
CARBS : 9%
PROTEIN : 36%