MAKES 16 sliders (4 per serving)
PREP TIME: 9 minutes
COOK TIME: 6 minutes
Sardines aren’t something many of us gravitate toward when we’re hungry, but these mini burgers might change your mind! Sardines are rich in omega-3, vitamin B12, calcium, and many of the minerals we need on keto to balance our electrolytes. This recipe is so good that I made it multiple times while writing the book. It’s my go-to meal when we’re hungry and I have very little time to create something fancy. Even my sardine-hating husband asks for it!
Don’t want to make the mayo-based sauce? Replace it with ⅓ cup (80 ml) of Creamy Italian Dressing (here) or Ranch Dressing (here).
2 (3-oz/85-g) cans sardines
⅔ cup (140 g) mayonnaise, divided
½ cup (38 g) crushed pork rinds
2 teaspoons dried chives
1 teaspoon garlic powder
¾ teaspoon finely ground sea salt, divided
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
3 tablespoons avocado oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon pickle or caper brine
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
7 to 10 lettuce leaves, torn into 4-inch (10-cm) pieces
14 cucumber slices
- Place the sardines in a medium-sized bowl and mash with the back of a fork. Add ⅓ cup (70 g) of the mayonnaise, the crushed pork rinds, chives, garlic powder, ½ teaspoon of the salt, the paprika, onion powder, and thyme. Stir to combine.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Scoop up 1 tablespoon of the sardine mixture and roll it between your palms, then flatten to a ½-inch (2.5-cm) patty and place in the pan. Repeat with the remaining mixture, making a total of 16 patties. Cook the patties for 3 minutes per side, or until golden and a touch crispy. By the time you’ve finished forming the patties, the first patty you made should be ready to flip. Once done, remove the patties from the pan.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: Place the remaining ⅓ cup (70 g) of mayonnaise and remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt in a small dish along with the mustard, pickle brine, and cayenne pepper. Stir to incorporate.
- To assemble the sliders, place the lettuce pieces on a large serving plate. Spoon a bit of sauce on a piece of lettuce, then place a sardine patty on top, followed by a cucumber slice and another dollop of sauce. Top with a second piece of lettuce. Repeat with the remaining lettuce, sauce, patties, and cucumber slices and serve.
STORE IT: Keep the patties in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. The sauce, lettuce, and cucumbers are best kept in the fridge for up to 5 days.
REHEAT IT: Transfer a single serving of the patties to a microwave-safe dish, cover, and microwave for 1 minute; or place in a frying pan with a tablespoon of oil and reheat over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
THAW IT: Place the patties in the fridge and allow to thaw completely, then follow the reheating instructions above.
PREP AHEAD: Make the sauce ahead; it will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
make it LOW-FODMAP:
Omit the garlic and onion powder.
make it NIGHTSHADE-FREE:
Omit the paprika and cayenne.
Per serving of 4 sliders:
calories: 488 | calories from fat: 413 | total fat: 45.9 g | saturated fat: 7.6 g | cholesterol: 87 mg
sodium: 949 mg | carbs: 1.8 g | dietary fiber: 0.5 g | net carbs: 1.3 g | sugars: 0.6 g | protein: 17.1 g
FAT : 85%
CARBS : 1%
PROTEIN : 15%