PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 35 minutes
During a recent sailing trip, I realized that I’d forgotten to purchase zucchini for the noodle bowls I was planning to prepare for the crew on the night before heading home. We were low on food, had been sailing all day, and were totally wiped out. I had all the ingredients for meat sauce but no noodles to put it on. Instead of transforming the meat sauce into chili, I decided to serve the sauce over roasted broccoli, and it was delicious! The crew was happy, and I discovered a new way to enjoy meat sauce.
If you can eat dairy, Parmesan cheese would be amazing grated over the top of this dish. If you can’t, nutritional yeast is a great alternative.
¼ cup (60 ml) avocado oil
1 pound (455 g) ground turkey
1 cup (240 g) canned diced tomatoes
1 cup (250 g) tomato sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1½ teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
1½ pounds (680 g) broccoli florets
¼ cup (60 ml) avocado oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
¼ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
Pinch of ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Start the meat sauce: Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat for 1 minute, then add the turkey. Cook, stirring frequently, until no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roast the broccoli: Place the broccoli florets on the lined baking sheet, sprinkle with the oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and toss to coat. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the broccoli is fork-tender and a little crispy on the edges.
- When the turkey is fully cooked, add the remaining ingredients for the meat sauce to the pan. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low to maintain a light simmer. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the broccoli is finished roasting.
- Divide the roasted broccoli among 4 dinner plates. Pile the meat sauce on top and dig in!
PRESSURE COOK IT: You can prepare the meat sauce in a pressure cooker. Use the sauté mode for Step 2. Then add the rest of the sauce ingredients to the cooker, seal the lid, and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally before removing the lid, then serve the meat sauce with the roasted broccoli.
STORE IT: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. The meat sauce can be frozen for up to 1 month.
REHEAT IT: Transfer a single serving to a microwave-safe dish, cover, and microwave for 2½ minutes; or place in a frying pan, cover, and reheat over medium heat for 5 minutes.
THAW IT: Place in the fridge and allow to defrost completely, then follow the reheating instructions above.
make it LOW-FODMAP:
For the meat sauce, omit the onion powder and garlic powder and replace 1 tablespoon of the avocado oil with garlic-infused oil.
calories: 585 | calories from fat: 359 | total fat: 39.9 g | saturated fat: 5.5 g | cholesterol: 116 mg
sodium: 644 mg | carbs: 18.9 g | dietary fiber: 6.3 g | net carbs: 12.6 g | sugars: 7.4 g | protein: 37.6 g
FAT : 61%
CARBS : 13%
PROTEIN : 26%