PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 20 minutes
If you can eat dairy, swap out the dairy-free shredded cheese for the real thing. If you can’t eat dairy, any dairy-free cheese option would do great; one of my favorites is from a company called Daiya. If all this cheese talk has you confused, just omit it from the recipe completely.
1 pound (455 g) ground turkey
1 pound (455 g) ground pork
½ cup (70 g) shredded mozzarella cheese (dairy-free or regular)
2 tablespoons hot sauce
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1½ teaspoons dried basil
1¼ teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
¾ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
½ teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
3 tablespoons avocado oil or coconut oil
4 medium zucchinis, spiral sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place the turkey, pork, cheese, hot sauce, oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and rosemary in a large mixing bowl and combine with your hands until fully incorporated.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. While the oil is heating, form the meatballs: Take 3 tablespoons of the meat mixture, roll it into a ball between your palms, and place it in the frying pan. Repeat with the remaining meat mixture, placing the meatballs as close together as possible so that they all fit in the pan at one time. You should get about 18 meatballs.
- Cover the pan and cook the meatballs for 15 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- Add the spiral-sliced zucchini and lemon juice to the pan with the cooked meatballs. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Divide the noodles and meatballs among 6 dinner plates and dig in.
STORE IT: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
REHEAT IT: Transfer a single serving to a microwave-safe dish, cover, and microwave for 2 minutes; or place in a frying pan, cover, and reheat over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
THAW IT: Place in the fridge and allow to defrost completely, then follow the reheating instructions above.
make it AIP:
Omit the hot sauce. Ensure that the cheese you use is AIP or omit the cheese.
make it COCONUT-FREE:
If using dairy-free cheese, make sure it’s also coconut-free.
make it DAIRY-FREE:
Use dairy-free cheese.
Per serving, made with dairy-free cheese and avocado oil:
calories: 595 | calories from fat: 407 | total fat: 45.2 g | saturated fat: 20.9 g | cholesterol: 163 mg
sodium: 670 mg | carbs: 3.6 g | dietary fiber: 1 g | net carbs: 2.6 g | sugars: 0.9 g | protein: 43.8 g
FAT : 68%
CARBS : 2%
PROTEIN : 30%