PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 45 minutes
A keto cookbook wouldn’t be complete without a bacon-wrapped dinner option. I always look out for sales on nitrate-free bacon and stock the freezer when I can.
Also, note the sodium level in this recipe—it’s off the charts! This is because I go for the most common ingredient options when I calculate the nutrition information. So the sodium level per serving assumes that you are using conventionally produced bacon. You can lower the amount of sodium by opting for a better-quality bacon.
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 lb/455 g)
¾ cup (130 g) canned artichoke hearts
2 tablespoons avocado oil
Handful of fresh basil leaves and stems
2 cloves garlic
¼ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
12 strips bacon (about 12 oz/340 g)
8 cups (160 g) arugula, divided
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place the chicken thighs on a sheet of parchment paper. Using a meat mallet, pound the thighs until they’re ¼ inch (6 mm) thick. Place on the lined baking sheet.
- Place the artichoke hearts, oil, basil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor. Pulse until chopped but not smooth.
- Spread one-quarter of the artichoke mixture on a chicken thigh, starting at the shortest end, about 1 inch (5 cm) from the edge of the thigh. Roll the thigh in on itself and wrap tightly with 3 strips of bacon. Set the bacon-wrapped thigh, ends down, on the lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining thighs, artichoke mixture, and bacon.
- Bake the stuffed thighs for 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) and the bacon is crisp.
- To serve, place 1 thigh and 2 cups (40 g) of arugula on each plate, then drizzle the arugula with the leftover cooking juices.
STORE IT: Keep the arugula and the chicken and cooking juices in separate airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days, or wrap and freeze the chicken for up to 1 month.
REHEAT IT: Transfer a single serving of chicken to a microwave-safe dish, cover, and microwave for 2½ minutes; or place in a frying pan and reheat over medium heat for 5 minutes, flipping it as it cooks to recrisp the bacon on both sides.
THAW IT: Place in the fridge and allow to defrost completely, then follow the reheating instructions above.
make it AIP:
Omit the black pepper.
calories: 666 | calories from fat: 427 | total fat: 47.4 g | saturated fat: 13.5 g | cholesterol: 189 mg
sodium: 2223 mg | carbs: 6.8 g | dietary fiber: 2.5 g | net carbs: 4.3 g | sugars: 1.2 g | protein: 53.1 g
FAT : 64%
CARBS : 4%
PROTEIN : 32%