PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 7 minutes
This salad couldn’t be easier to whip up. And the combination of the almond flour coating, the coconut oil used for frying, and the chipotle mayo dressing makes for one heck of a fat-bomb salad! Before beginning the recipe, remember to place the skewers in water to soak.
If you’re not in the mood for the chipotle mayo dressing, replace it with ⅔ cup (160 ml) of Thai Dressing (here) or Herby Vinaigrette & Marinade (here).
24 large shrimp (about 14 oz/400 g), peeled, deveined, and tails removed
¾ cup (85 g) blanched almond flour
¾ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon ginger powder
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large egg
½ cup (210 g) coconut oil, for the pan
CHIPOTLE MAYO DRESSING:
⅔ cup (140 g) mayonnaise
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
4 cups (280 g) iceberg lettuce mix
8 (6-in/15-cm) bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 10 minutes
- Skewer 3 shrimp per bamboo skewer. Place on a clean plate.
- Combine the almond flour, salt, garlic powder, ginger powder, and pepper in a small shallow dish that is long enough to accommodate the skewers.
- Beat the egg in another small shallow dish.
- Dip a shrimp skewer into the beaten egg, then coat generously in the almond flour mixture. Once coated, set on one half of a wire cooling rack (keeping the other half of the rack clean for the cooked shrimp). Repeat with the remaining skewers.
- Melt the oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Once melted, wait 1 minute before carefully placing all the skewers in the hot oil. You may need to cook them in batches if your pan is not large enough to hold all of them at once.
- Cook the skewers until lightly golden on the first side, up to 4 minutes. If, after 4 minutes, the coating hasn’t turned a light golden color, turn the heat up to medium and continue cooking until they’re lightly golden. Flip over and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the shrimp are lightly golden on the other side. Transfer the finished skewers to the clean side of the wire rack.
- While the shrimp skewers are cooking, prepare the chipotle mayo dressing: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Divide the lettuce mix evenly among 4 salad plates. Top with the cooked shrimp skewers and drizzle with the dressing.
STORE IT: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
REHEAT IT: Place the shrimp in a large frying pan and reheat over medium heat for 2 minutes, until heated through.
PREP AHEAD: Make the dressing up to 3 days before preparing the remainder of the recipe.
make it COCONUT-FREE:
Replace the coconut oil with avocado oil or ghee.
calories: 883 | calories from fat: 753 | total fat: 83.7 g | saturated fat: 30.9 g | cholesterol: 167 mg
sodium: 911 mg | carbs: 7.7 g | dietary fiber: 4.3 g | net carbs: 3.4 g | sugars: 3.3 g | protein: 24.8 g
FAT : 86%
CARBS : 3%
PROTEIN : 11%