MAKES 24 bites (1 per serving)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes, plus 24 hours to soak livers
COOK TIME: 28 minutes
Another tasty way to enjoy liver! While you can enjoy these bites just as they are, serving them with some Ranch Dressing (here) or Green Speckled Dressing (here) makes for one tasty treat. Who knew we could ever say that about liver?
8 ounces (225 g) chicken livers
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
4 strips bacon (about 4½ oz/130 g)
1 pound (455 g) ground beef
1 cup (75 g) crushed pork rinds
12 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
½ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- Place the chicken livers in a medium-sized bowl and cover with water. Add the vinegar. Cover and place in the fridge for 24 to 48 hours. Rinse and drain the livers.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place the livers and bacon in a high-powered blender and pulse until smooth. If using a regular blender or food processor, roughly chop the bacon beforehand.
- Transfer the liver mixture to a medium-sized bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Mix with your hands until fully incorporated.
- Pinch a tablespoon of the mixture, roll it into a ball between your hands, and place on the lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining liver mixture, making a total of 24 balls.
- Bake the liver balls for 25 to 28 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
STORE: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
REHEAT IT: Enjoy cold, or place in a frying pan with a drop of oil, cover, and reheat on medium-low for 3 minutes.
THAW IT: Place in the fridge and allow to defrost completely before using the reheating instructions above.
make it AIP:
Omit the black pepper.
calories: 116 | calories from fat: 67 | total fat: 7.4 g | saturated fat: 2.7 g | cholesterol: 80 mg
sodium: 248 mg | carbs: 1.1 g | dietary fiber: 0.1 g | net carbs: 1 g | sugars: 0.2 g | protein: 11.4 g
FAT : 57%
CARBS : 4%
PROTEIN : 39%