MAKES 10 patties (2 per serving)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 20 minutes
There are so many ways to enjoy cauliflower, and this is one of the best ways I know. Once you get comfortable with this recipe, you can play around with the flavors. Adding bacon is always a good idea. You can also swap out the nutritional yeast for cheese if you’re okay with dairy or replace the spices with your favorite spice mix.
These patties are awesome with Bacon Dressing (here) or Creamy Italian Dressing (here).
1 medium head cauliflower (about 1½ lbs/680 g), or 3 cups (375 g) pre-riced cauliflower
2 large eggs
⅔ cup (75 g) blanched almond flour
¼ cup (17 g) nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon dried chives
1 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee, for the pan
- If you’re using pre-riced cauliflower, skip ahead to Step 2. Otherwise, cut the base off the head of cauliflower and remove the florets. Transfer the florets to a food processor or blender and pulse 3 or 4 times to break them up into small (¼-inch/6-mm) pieces.
- Transfer the riced cauliflower to a medium-sized saucepan and add enough water to the pan to completely cover the cauliflower. Cover with the lid and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil, covered, for 3½ minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl.
- Pour the hot cauliflower into the strainer, allowing the bowl to catch the boiling water. With a spoon, press down on the cauliflower to remove as much water as possible.
- Discard the cooking water and place the cauliflower in the bowl, then add the eggs, almond flour, nutritional yeast, chives, salt, and spices. Stir until everything is incorporated.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the oil and allow to melt completely.
- Using a ¼-cup (60-ml) scoop, scoop up a portion of the mixture and roll between your hands to form a ball about 1¾ inches (4.5 cm) in diameter. Place in the hot oil and flatten the ball with the back of a fork until it is a patty about ½ inch (1.25 cm) thick. Repeat with the remaining cauliflower mixture, making a total of 10 patties.
- Cook the patties for 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy!
STORE IT: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month (no thawing needed).
REHEAT IT: Transfer a single serving to a microwave-safe plate, cover, and microwave for 1 minute if refrigerated or 3 minutes if frozen; or place in a frying pan with a drop of oil and fry over medium heat for about 1 minute per side if refrigerated or 4 minutes per side if frozen.
make it COCONUT-FREE:
make it DAIRY-FREE/VEGAN:
Use coconut oil.
Per serving, made with coconut oil:
calories: 164 | calories from fat: 111 | total fat: 12.3 g | saturated fat: 7.9 g | cholesterol: 74 mg
sodium: 433 mg | carbs: 6.9 g | dietary fiber: 3.6 g | net carbs: 3.3 g | sugars: 2.9 g | protein: 6.6 g
FAT : 68%
CARBS : 17%
PROTEIN : 16%