PREP TIME: 10 minutes, plus 12 hours to soak cashews
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
Kids and adults alike go crazy for this recipe, whether they’re keto or not! If you have taco seasoning kicking around, replace all the spices, including the salt, with 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning. My all-time favorite way to enjoy this queso is with pork rinds. But don’t limit yourself to using it as a dip; it doubles as a super delicious sauce when dolloped onto your favorite savory dishes.
1 cup (130 g) raw cashews
½ cup (120 ml) nondairy milk
¼ cup (17 g) nutritional yeast
½ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
¼ cup (60 ml) avocado oil
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¾ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
⅛ teaspoon paprika
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
3½ ounces (100 g) pork rinds, or 2 medium zucchinis, cut into sticks, for serving (optional)
- Place the cashews in a 12-ounce (350-ml) or larger sealable container. Cover with water. Seal and place in the fridge to soak for 12 hours.
- After 12 hours, drain and rinse the cashews, then place them in a food processor or blender along with the milk, nutritional yeast, and salt. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized frying pan over medium-low heat until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic, and spices and toss to coat the onion with the seasonings. Stir the mixture every couple of minutes until the onion begins to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to the food processor or blender. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Enjoy the queso with pork rinds or zucchini sticks, if desired.
STORE IT: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
make it COCONUT-FREE:
Opt for a nondairy milk not made from coconut, like almond or hazelnut milk.
make it VEGAN/VEGETARIAN:
Serve with zucchini sticks.
Per ¼-cup/76-g serving, made with almond milk, queso only:
calories: 300 | calories from fat: 218 | total fat: 24.2 g | saturated fat: 4.1 g | cholesterol: 0 mg
sodium: 228 mg | carbs: 14.2 g | dietary fiber: 2.9 g | net carbs: 11.3 g | sugars: 2.5 g | protein: 6.5 g
FAT : 73%
CARBS : 18%
PROTEIN : 9%
Per serving, with pork rinds:
calories: 416 | calories from fat: 300 | total fat: 31.4g | saturated fat: 6.9g | cholesterol: 29mg
sodium: 613mg | carbs: 14.2g | dietary fiber: 2.9g | net carbs: 11.3g | sugars: 2.5g | protein: 19.3g
FAT : 68%
CARBS : 13%
PROTEIN : 19%