MAKES 8 small cakes (4 per serving)
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 22 minutes
These cakes are ridiculously good. They are creamy on the inside and crisp on the outside. You’ll think there is cheese inside . . . but there isn’t! The full-on bacon flavor pairs so well with the zucchini; you’ll be mega impressed. If you don’t want to pair the cakes with the Lemon Aioli, they also go great with Chimichurri (here), Creamy Italian Dressing (here), or Honey Mustard Dressing & Marinade (here).
3 lightly packed cups (450 g) shredded zucchini (about 3 medium zucchinis)
4 strips bacon (about 4 oz/110 g)
1 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
1 large egg
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1 tablespoon arrowroot starch or tapioca starch
¾ teaspoon garlic powder
¾ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup (52 g) mayonnaise
Grated zest of ½ lemon
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place the shredded zucchini in a strainer set over the sink. Sprinkle with the salt and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large frying pan over medium heat until crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan, leaving the grease in the pan. When the bacon has cooled, crumble it.
- While the bacon is cooking, make the aioli: Put the mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and whisk to incorporate. Set aside.
- When the zucchini is ready, squeeze it over and over again to get out as much of the water as you can.
- Transfer the zucchini to a large mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients for the cakes. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Set the frying pan with the bacon grease over medium-low heat. Scoop up 2 tablespoons of the zucchini mixture, roll it into a ball between your hands, and place in the hot pan. Repeat with the remaining mixture, making a total of 8 balls. Press each ball with the back of a fork until the cakes are about ½ inch (1.25 cm) thick.
- Cook the cakes for 4 to 6 minutes per side, until golden. Serve with the aioli.
STORE IT: Keep the cakes and aioli in separate airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
REHEAT IT: Transfer a single serving of the cakes to a microwave-safe plate, cover, and microwave for 2 minutes; or place in a frying pan with a drop of oil and fry over medium heat for about 1 minute per side.
Per serving, made with homemade mayonnaise:
calories: 636 | calories from fat: 474 | total fat: 52.7 g | saturated fat: 12.5 g | cholesterol: 155 mg
sodium: 2300 mg | carbs: 12.2 g | dietary fiber: 3.3 g | net carbs: 8.9 g | sugars: 5 g | protein: 27.5 g
FAT : 75%
CARBS : 8%
PROTEIN : 17%