MAKES 12 meringues (2 per serving)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes, plus 1 hour to cool in oven
COOK TIME: 1 hour
My grandma, maybe like yours, was a fabulous baker. Each time my sister and I would go to her house, she’d have something special in the freezer. Christina’s favorites: chocolate chip cookies and sherbet. My favorites: butter tarts and meringues. Grandma would cut up fresh berries and scatter them on top of her meringues . . . they were so tasty, but not at all keto. So, here’s Grandma’s recipe made keto!
Be sure not to get any egg yolk in your meringue batter. That’ll make the meringues flatten before you even start. This is why it’s best to crack your eggs over a separate bowl. Save those yolks for a batch of Edana’s Macadamia Crack Bars (here).
2 large egg whites, room temperature
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
Pinch of finely ground sea salt
½ cup (80 g) confectioners’-style erythritol
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
24 fresh strawberries, sliced
¾ cup (190 g) coconut cream
12 fresh mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 225°F (108°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a very clean large bowl. Make sure that the bowl does not have any oil residue in it. Using a handheld electric mixer or stand mixer, mix on low speed until the mixture becomes foamy.
- Once foamy, increase the speed to high. Slowly add the erythritol, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing all the while. Add a tablespoon about every 20 seconds.
- Keep beating until the mixture is shiny and thick and peaks have formed; it should be nearly doubled in volume. (The peaks won’t be as stiff as in a traditional meringue.) Fold in the vanilla.
- Using a large spoon, dollop the meringue mixture onto the lined baking sheet, making a total of 12 meringues.
- Bake for 1 hour without opening the oven door. After 1 hour, turn off the oven and keep the meringues in the cooling oven for another hour, then remove.
- To serve, place 2 meringues on each plate. Top each serving with 4 sliced strawberries, 2 tablespoons of coconut cream, and 2 mint leaves.
STORE IT: Store the meringues in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days; store the strawberries, cream, and mint in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If the meringues become a bit chewy, you can set them in a 225°F (108°C) oven for a couple of minutes to crisp them up again before serving.
make it COCONUT-FREE:
Replace the coconut cream with heavy cream if you can tolerate dairy.
calories: 100 | calories from fat: 68 | total fat: 7.6 g | saturated fat: 6.6 g | cholesterol: 0 mg
sodium: 56 mg | carbs: 5.8 g | dietary fiber: 1.8 g | net carbs: 4 g | sugars: 3.5 g | protein: 2.3 g
FAT : 68%
CARBS : 23%
PROTEIN : 9%