MAKES 20 cookies (2 per serving)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes, plus 45 minutes to chill
COOK TIME: 5 minutes
Around the time my husband and I were getting ready to move into our motor home full-time and travel about, we were gifted a ginormous box of monk fruit–sweetened chocolate. Like, actually ginormous—144 bars, to be exact. It was so much chocolate that I had to start getting creative on how to use it. After all, there was only so much room in the motor home for chocolate bars!
That’s when I started playing around with haystack recipes and discovered that coconut milk is an essential addition to a good haystack. (If you don’t like coconut milk and can eat dairy, heavy cream would be amazing in this recipe.)
The MCT oil powder does nothing to the consistency or flavor of the end product. Instead, it increases the amount of fat in the recipe, which may be a goal for you! If you decide to go for it, use an unsweetened, unflavored MCT oil powder. My favorite brand is Perfect Keto.
½ cup (95 g) erythritol
¼ cup (60 ml) full-fat coconut milk
3 tablespoons coconut oil, ghee, or cacao butter
¼ cup (20 g) cocoa powder
⅓ cup (30 g) unflavored MCT oil powder (optional)
2 cups (200 g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- Line a rimmed baking sheet or large plate with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place the erythritol, coconut milk, and oil in a large frying pan. Slowly bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, whisking periodically to prevent burning; this should take about 5 minutes.
- When the mixture reaches a simmer, remove from the heat and stir in the cocoa powder. Once fully combined, stir in the MCT oil powder, if using, and then the shredded coconut.
- Using a 1-tablespoon measuring spoon, carefully scoop out a portion of the mixture and press it into the spoon. Place the haystack on the lined baking sheet and repeat, making a total of 20 cookies.
- Refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes before enjoying.
STORE IT: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
THAW IT: Let the haystacks sit out on the counter for 1 minute before enjoying.
make it DAIRY-FREE/VEGAN:
Do not use ghee.
Per serving, made with coconut oil, without MCT oil powder:
calories: 122 | calories from fat: 107 | total fat: 11.9 g | saturated fat: 9.6 g | cholesterol: 0 mg
sodium: 4 mg | carbs: 4.2 g | dietary fiber: 2.5 g | net carbs: 1.7 g | sugars: 1.2 g | protein: 1.3 g
FAT : 83%
CARBS : 13%
PROTEIN : 4%