MAKES 12 bars (1 per serving)
PREP TIME: 15 minutes, plus 2 hours to cool/chill
COOK TIME: 35 minutes
We decided to sail the Gulf Stream at night before a gnarly weather system made it most uncomfortable to cross. It was our first Gulf Stream crossing at night, so snacks were essential in order to stay awake. Our training captain, Edana, was sitting at the helm when I asked if she wanted a piece of my macadamia bar. She broke off a piece, and her reaction was priceless. Her face lit up with joy, and she said quite loudly, “WHOA! This is SO good. What? Oh my, yes. Whoa, so good. What is this? How? How did you make this?”
This one’s for you, Edana!
1¼ cups (140 g) blanched almond flour
⅓ cup (65 g) erythritol
⅓ cup (70 g) coconut oil, ghee, or cacao butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
COCONUT CREAM LAYER:
½ cup (95 g) erythritol
½ cup (125 g) coconut cream
¼ cup (55 g) coconut oil, ghee, or cacao butter, melted
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (160 g) raw macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
1 cup (100 g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line an 8-inch (20-cm) square baking pan with parchment paper, draping it over two opposite sides of the pan for easy lifting.
- Place the base ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Press into the prepared pan and par-bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the top is only lightly browned. Remove from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 300°F (150°C).
- Meanwhile, make the coconut cream layer: Place the erythritol, coconut cream, melted oil, egg yolks, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the coconut cream mixture over the par-baked base. Top with the macadamia nuts, then the shredded coconut.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Let cool in the pan on the counter for 1 hour before transferring to the fridge to chill for another hour. Once chilled, cut into 2-inch (5-cm) squares.
STORE IT: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Can be eaten directly from the freezer.
make it COCONUT-FREE:
Do not use coconut oil. Use heavy cream instead of coconut cream (if you can tolerate dairy). Omit the shredded coconut topping.
make it DAIRY-FREE:
Do not use ghee.
Per bar, made with coconut oil:
calories: 303 | calories from fat: 276 | total fat: 30.7 g | saturated fat: 14.8 g | cholesterol: 35 mg
sodium: 44 mg | carbs: 5.6 g | dietary fiber: 3.2 g | net carbs: 2.4 g | sugars: 1.9 g | protein: 2 g
FAT : 90%
CARBS : 7%
PROTEIN : 3%