MAKES 16 bars (1 per serving)
PREP TIME: 25 minutes, plus 3 hours to chill
COOK TIME: —
Gone are the days when you mourned the loss of oats on your ketogenic diet. After making this recipe, you’ll realize just how versatile hulled hemp seeds (aka hemp hearts) are, and you’ll swap out oats for hemp seeds in all your favorite recipes! Hemp seeds have gained in popularity over the years; however, not all shops or countries will carry them. If you’re in one of those places, you can easily replace them with coarsely ground hulled sunflower seeds. The key is, when you grind the sunflower seeds, to pulse them only once or twice. They need to be broken up just a little, not a lot.
These bars are so good that I sometimes cut them larger, as shown, for a heartier snack.
1 cup (180 g) coconut oil
½ cup (95 g) erythritol, divided
2 cups (300 g) hulled hemp seeds
½ cup (50 g) unsweetened shredded coconut
⅓ cup (33 g) coconut flour
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
10 ounces (285 g) unsweetened baking chocolate, roughly chopped
½ cup (120 ml) full-fat coconut milk
- Line a 9-inch (23-cm) square baking pan with parchment paper, draping it over all sides of the pan for easy lifting.
- Place the coconut oil and half of the erythritol in a medium-sized saucepan and melt over medium heat, about 2 minutes. Continue to Step 3 if using confectioners’-style erythritol; if using granulated erythritol, continue to cook until the granules can no longer be felt on the back of the spoon.
- Add the hulled hemp seeds, shredded coconut, coconut flour, and vanilla, stirring until coated. Set aside half of the mixture for the topping. Press the remaining half of the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Transfer the pan with the base layer to the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes, until set.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chocolate layer: Place the remaining erythritol, the baking chocolate, and coconut milk in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir frequently until melted and smooth.
- Take the base out of the fridge and spoon the chocolate mixture over the base layer, spreading it evenly with a knife or the back of a spoon. If the base hasn’t totally set, a couple of hulled hemp seeds will lift up and mix in with the chocolate, so don’t rush it.
- Crumble the reserved hemp seed mixture over the chocolate layer, pressing in gently. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
- Cut into 16 bars and enjoy!
STORE IT: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
THAW IT: Set the bars on the counter for 10 to 15 minutes before enjoying.
calories: 311 | calories from fat: 267 | total fat: 29.7 g | saturated fat: 18.5 g | cholesterol: 0 mg
sodium: 16 mg | carbs: 9.5 g | dietary fiber: 5.2 g | net carbs: 4.3 g | sugars: 1.3 g | protein: 7.9 g
FAT : 80%
CARBS : 11%
PROTEIN : 9%