MAKES: 4 servings · PREP TIME: 15 minutes, plus time to rest zucchini noodles · COOK TIME: 15 minutes
These zucchini nests are one of my favorite ways to sneak an extra serving of vegetables into my day. Zucchini noodles, or zoodles, as they are often called in the low-carb community, make an excellent substitute for pasta or, in this case, hash browns. Another great option for these nests is spaghetti squash. To use spaghetti squash, simply cook it as you would per the directions for the Italian Spaghetti Squash Breakfast Skillet (here) and then follow the directions below, beginning with Step 2, using the cooked spaghetti squash where zoodles are referenced.
• 3 medium zucchini, spiral sliced
• 2½ teaspoons sea salt
• 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
• 2 tablespoons bacon drippings (reserved from cooking bacon)
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
• ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more for garnish
• 4 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon black and/or white sesame seeds
• 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced, for serving
1. Lay the zucchini noodles in a single layer on a bed of paper towels. Sprinkle them with the salt and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes. The salt will help draw out the excess moisture so that the nests aren’t soupy. When the zoodles have released liquid, put a layer of fresh paper towels on top and dab away the excess moisture, then set the zoodles aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
3. Toss the zoodles, bacon, bacon drippings, garlic, basil, and red pepper flakes together in a large mixing bowl, coating the zoodles evenly in the bacon drippings.
4. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form into nests on the prepared baking sheet, making a well in the center of each nest.
5. Crack an egg into each well. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
6. Garnish with the sesame seeds and red pepper flakes and serve with avocado slices.
tip: To make this dish nightshade-free, omit the red pepper flakes.
TOTAL CARBS: 9.9g
NET CARBS: 4.9g