MAKES: 10 patties (2 per serving) · PREP TIME: 20 minutes, plus 2 hours to refrigerate · COOK TIME: 15 minutes
These spiced breakfast sausage patties are perfectly juicy on the inside and delightfully crispy on the outside. They have all the warm flavors of chorizo in a quick and easy sausage patty. These are great to have on hand for hectic weekday mornings when you need something you can just heat and eat before heading out the door. I like to make a double or triple batch, portion them out, and freeze them for later use. You can freeze them cooked or raw. To cook or reheat, simply defrost and then pan-fry the patties.
• 3 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil, divided
• 1 small onion, finely diced (about ½ cup)
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
• 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• Pinch of ground cinnamon
• ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
• ¼ cup cold water
• 1½ pounds ground pork
• 1½ teaspoons sea salt
• ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
2. Add the oregano, cumin, paprika, cayenne, and cinnamon and cook for 1 additional minute.
3. Add the vinegar and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
4. Remove the onion mixture from the heat and transfer it to a blender or food processor. Add the water and blend until smooth.
5. In a large bowl, mix the ground pork, blended onion mixture, salt, and pepper until the ingredients are well incorporated. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or up to 24 hours to let the flavors come together.
6. Form the pork mixture into 12 equal-sized patties, about 3 inches in diameter.
7. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, cook the patties in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pan, until they are browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes on each side.
8. Transfer the cooked patties to a paper towel–lined plate to absorb the excess grease before serving.
TOTAL CARBS: 3.4g
NET CARBS: 2.6g