MAKES: 36 fried pickles (6 per serving) · PREP TIME: 15 minutes · COOK TIME: 15 minutes
It simply wouldn’t be one of my books if it didn’t have some sort of pickle recipe in it, now would it? Fried pickles were always one of my favorite bar appetizers. I would order them every time I saw them on a menu. They were one of the foods I missed the most when I switched to a low-carb lifestyle, and I knew right away that I wanted to re-create them in a low-carb version.
• 36 large dill pickle chips
• ½ cup mayonnaise, store-bought or homemade (here)
• 1 batch Savory Nut-Free Breading Mix (here)
• Lime Sriracha Aioli (here), for serving (optional)
1. Put the pickle chips between layers of paper towels to absorb the moisture. You want the pickles to be as dry as possible when you bread them.
2. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Put a cooling rack on a rimmed baking sheet.
3. Set up two shallow bowls in a row. Put the mayonnaise in the first bowl and the breading mix in the second bowl.
4. Dip each pickle chip in the mayonnaise and then coat generously in the breading.
5. Line the breaded pickles in a single layer across the cooling rack. Baking the chips on the cooling rack rather than directly on the baking sheet allows them to get crispy on both sides.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, or until crispy and browned. Let cool just slightly before serving to let the breading finish crisping. Serve with aioli, if desired.
tips: If you are slicing whole pickles to make your own “chips,” slice them slightly on a bias for larger pickle chips.
If you aren’t avoiding dairy, you can use ¼ cup heavy cream whisked with 1 large egg in place of the mayonnaise in this recipe.
TOTAL CARBS: 6.6g
NET CARBS: 1.8g