MAKES: 8 sandwiches (1 per serving) · PREP TIME: 20 minutes · COOK TIME: 7 hours
This is a recipe comprised of recipes, but I couldn’t help myself. They complement each other so well that I would be doing you a great disservice if I didn’t show you how to put them together into one harmonious symphony of flavor. The sandwich is a little higher in carbs than most of the recipes in the book, but it is definitely worth the splurge. I’ve included some tips for reducing the overall carb count.
•2½ pounds boneless pork shoulder or pork butt
•Sea salt and ground black pepper
•½ cup chicken stock or bone broth (here)
•1 batch Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce (here)
•2 batches Everything Buns (here)
•1 batch Cucumber Dill Broccoli Slaw (here)
•Pickled Red Onions (here) (optional)
1. Preheat a slow cooker on the low setting.
2. Season the pork generously with salt and pepper. Put the pork in the slow cooker, add the chicken stock, and cook for 6 hours, or until the meat is fall-apart tender.
3. Drain most of the juices from the slow cooker, retaining only about ¼ cup. Use two forks to shred the meat.
4. Mix the barbecue sauce into the meat and cook for 1 additional hour.
5. While the pork is in the final stage of cooking, prepare the buns and slaw.
6. Top each bun with pulled pork, slaw, and pickled red onions, if desired.
tip: If you don’t want to make all 8 servings, you can scale all the recipes in half to make 4 servings. Alternatively, you can make a full batch of the pork and half batches of everything else and use the pork for leftovers.
For a saucier meat, double the barbecue sauce recipe.
Here are a few tips for lowering the carbs in this recipe: Instead of the coleslaw, toss some shredded lettuce in Ranch Dressing (here). Instead of the buns, eat it as a lettuce wrap or plate it as a salad.
TOTAL CARBS: 23.2g
NET CARBS: 8.5g