MAKES: 4 servings · PREP TIME: 15 minutes · COOK TIME: 20 minutes
If I had a dollar for every time I ordered fettuccine Alfredo at a restaurant in my twenties, I would have a truckload of dollars. It probably didn’t help that I spent a lot of years working in Italian restaurants, and the pasta was free-flowing on the employee menu. While there is nothing quite like the real thing, this low-carb version sure does curb the craving. I love to serve it with Caesar Salad with Cumin-Spiced Pecans (here).
•1 pound large raw shrimp (25/30), peeled, deveined, and tails removed
•¼ cup Blackening Seasoning (here)
•3 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
•1½ cups Dairy-Free Alfredo Sauce (here)
•3 (8-ounce) packages fettuccine-style shirataki noodles (see tips)
•½ teaspoon sea salt
•¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
•2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
1. Put the shrimp, blackening seasoning, and 2 tablespoons of the avocado oil in a mixing bowl and toss to coat the shrimp evenly.
2. If using premade Alfredo sauce, heat the sauce in a large saucepan over medium heat until it is warmed through. Reduce the heat to low until you are ready to use it.
3. Heat the remaining tablespoon of avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shirataki noodles, salt, and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, or until the noodles are dry.
4. Remove the noodles from the skillet and add them to the saucepan with the Alfredo sauce. Toss the noodles in the sauce.
5. Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook until they are pink and cooked all way through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
6. Plate the noodles, then top with the shrimp. Garnish with the parsley, if desired.
tips: Shirataki noodles can give off a somewhat fishy odor. The key to preparing them is to rinse, soak, and drain them before using. This will improve the taste and texture and get rid of the smell.
If you are not a fan of shirataki noodles, you can serve this sauce over zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash. Also, if you do not like seafood, you can make this recipe with chicken or beef instead of shrimp.
TOTAL CARBS: 7.4g
NET CARBS: 2.1g