MAKES: 4 burgers (1 per serving) · PREP TIME: 20 minutes · COOK TIME: 10 minutes
I decided to call these Meatloaf Burgers because they have all the delicious flavors of my classic meatloaf recipe. In fact, meatloaf was a childhood favorite of mine. It’s still a favorite to this day, well into my adulthood. Meatloaf is one of those foods that gets an unfairly bad rap. I can understand why, with some of the mushy lumps of meat that were passed off as meatloaf in the 1980s. If you are one of those people who has sworn off meatloaf altogether, this recipe (or the Mini Meatloaves with Brussels Sprouts on here) just might change your mind.
•1 pound ground beef
•1 large egg
•2 tablespoons reduced-sugar ketchup, store-bought or homemade (here)
•2 tablespoons dried minced onion
•2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
•2 cloves garlic, minced
•½ teaspoon sea salt
•¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
•2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
•1 batch Everything Buns (here)
•Low-carb condiments of choice
•8 slices bacon, cooked crisp
•1 tomato, sliced
•1 small red onion, sliced
•4 leaves romaine or iceberg lettuce
•Pickle spears, for serving (optional)
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix the ground beef, egg, ketchup, dried minced onion, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper until the ingredients are well incorporated.
2. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form into patties about ¾ inch thick. Season both sides of the patties generously with the salt and pepper.
3. Using your thumb, make a depression in the center of each patty. The burgers will plump as you cook them, and making this depression will help them stay flat and even.
4. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the patties to the pan. Sear until browned and slightly charred on the first side, 3 to 5 minutes for medium-done burgers. Flip the patties over and do the same on the second side.
5. Put each burger patty on a bun and top with the low-carb condiments, 2 slices of bacon, a tomato slice, a few slices of red onion, and a lettuce leaf. Serve with pickles, if desired.
tip: These burgers are also fantastic made with ground chicken or turkey. In fact, you can substitute any ground meat you prefer.
PER SERVING (without buns):
TOTAL CARBS: 5.7g
NET CARBS: 4.9g
PER SERVING (with buns):
TOTAL CARBS: 24.6g
NET CARBS: 10.1g