MAKES: 8 servings · PREP TIME: 15 minutes · COOK TIME: 30 minutes
I’ve tried a lot of different cauliflower mash and puree recipes in the fifteen years I’ve been living a low-carb lifestyle, and I can honestly tell you that I think I have finally figured out the perfect way to cook the cauliflower so that it more closely resembles mashed potatoes: oven roasting! It gives the cauliflower a greater depth of flavor. No more watery cauliflower mush masquerading as potatoes.
•1 large head cauliflower
•6 cloves garlic, peeled
•2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
•Sea salt and ground black pepper
•½ cup mayonnaise, store-bought or homemade
•½ cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
•2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
•Garlic and Herb–Infused Olive Oil , for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Core the head of cauliflower and cut it into florets. Spread the florets and the garlic cloves in a single layer across a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle the oil over the top, toss to coat, and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
3. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until the cauliflower and garlic are tender and golden brown.
4. Put the roasted cauliflower and garlic, mayonnaise, almond milk, and chives in a food processor. Pulse until smooth and fluffy. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if desired.
5. Drizzle the puree with the infused olive oil before serving, if desired.
TOTAL CARBS: 6.1g
NET CARBS: 3.9g