MAKES: 4 buns (1 per serving) · PREP TIME: 10 minutes · COOK TIME: 1 hour
This recipe was inspired by the famous Diet Doctor dinner roll recipe. My take on these buns is so appropriately named, not only for the use of Everything Bagel Seasoning, but also for the fact that I use these buns for everything. They are great for burgers and sandwiches. I like to use them in the morning for breakfast sandwiches with sausage, egg, avocado, and mayo. They are also fantastic as a base for Pork Carnitas Eggs Benedict. Delicious! If you aren’t avoiding dairy, you can use them to make a mean grilled cheese sandwich, too.
•1¼ cups blanched almond flour
•¼ cup plus 2 teaspoons psyllium husk powder
•2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
•2 teaspoons baking powder
•½ teaspoon sea salt
•3 large egg whites
•2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
•1 cup hot water
•2 tablespoons Everything Bagel Seasoning
1. Put an oven rack in the lower third position. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. In a large bowl, mix the almond flour, psyllium husk powder, nutritional yeast, baking powder, and salt until there are no visible clumps.
3. Add the egg whites and vinegar to the bowl and, using a rubber spatula, mix while slowly pouring in the hot water. Continue to mix just until the ingredients are well combined; be careful not to overmix the dough.
4. Moisten your hands and divide the dough into 4 equal parts, then shape them into hamburger-sized buns. Put the buns on the lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the bagel seasoning over the tops of the buns.
5. Bake for 1 hour, until the buns have doubled in size, are crisp on top, and make a hollow sound when you thump them. Allow to cool before slicing.
TOTAL CARBS: 18.9g
NET CARBS: 5.1g